February 3, 2009

Struggles, Temptations, and Splurges

Ever have this problem? One of the hardest aspects of losing/maintaining weight for me is not splurging and giving into cravings! And when I do give in, not letting it turn into days/weeks of bad eating and not exercising. I have really been struggling with this lately and am trying to conquer it.


For the last month or more I have been letting myself repeat this vicious circle that I have created. Every week I start out by eating healthy and exercising daily which is what I know is successful for me. This lasts for 3-4 days and during this time I usually lose 6-8 pounds. Then for one reason or another, I give in to temptation the last few days of the week and don't exercise which in turn causes me to gain all the weight back that I lost earlier in the week. I know that my lack of willpower is what is causing me to re-live this situation over and over again but I just haven't completely figured out how to successfully resist these temptations. We all know there will be temptations in life but learning to deal with them properly is the difference between success and failure.


In my situation, I let a number of things steer me off course. If I know that we have plans for dinner out or any sort of special occasion that is going to be an excuse to eat badly, I either turn that whole day into a "splurge day" or turn several days into "splurge time". This is where my problem lies. If I could just be bad for the one meal or even just the one day, I would probably be ok. Portion control has never been my strong suit and this issue relates directly to that in my opinion. Once I start, it is really hard for me to stop and get back on track.

I can look in the cupboard and see all of these unhealthy things to eat and not really even want them. As long as I don't try them I am usually fine. But, if I happen to give in and have even just one bite of something I shouldn't then it is like the flood gates are open. I proceed to eat every bad thing in there that I have been wanting and think of other foods I have been wanting that I can splurge on since I have already ruined my diet for the day. I know that I am going to feel miserable when I am done and still not feel satisfied but I do it anyways.


This is a constant battle for me and one that I am working extremely hard to try and conquer. I know there will always be temptation and that it is going to take sheer willpower to successfully defeat it. Weight loss isn't ever easy and there is no magic pill or surgery that is going to change that. If anyone else shares these same struggles, I would love to hear your take on them and your advice on how you handle temptation. What causes you to backslide? Share your thoughts in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment